Sunday, March 9, 2008

Follicles in Waiting

So I must be the dumbest person ever to attempt to use fertility medication.

I had to uproot and head out to Baltimore, right before I finished the birth control pills. I was gone for 17 days, so that undid the whole be with Hubby when the follicles would be out for courting. Hubby was good enough to pick up the Chlomid, but the days (and I double and triple counted) weren't going to work. We figured, no big deal, there's always March.

I get back and on Friday decide to call the doctor in Albuquerque to see if I should resume the birth control this month. I'm figuring that the packets are for four weeks (I take two weeks worth and throw out the rest), and this Monday would be when, if I was taking BC to prevent pregnancy, I would start the new month's packet, so obviously I should be ready to pop some more pills. Made sense to me...although my clothes were finally fitting again after the inevitable weight gain from the pills, so I should have known something was up.

Luckily the nurse didn't laugh at me. I forgot the whole step of must have blood work in order to confirm that there was no ovulated moment and no pregnancy. Of course, in my head, if I've been gone since just prior to the last menstruation, and Hubby was in another state, there's no way. Without any snickering, the nurse gently reminds me that I need a blood test to check out hormone levels and to confirm no pregnancy. Hubby gets a good snicker at the preggo test, and we race out of Sam's Club to the lab and do the blood work.

Turns out, when the nice nurse calls with the results on Saturday morning, no pregnancy, but wouldn't you know it, I haven't ovulated yet, and there's "a follicle" somewhere in waiting as told by the hormone levels. If I understand correctly--which I obviously have not been understanding totally as apparent by my "so I'm just confirming I start with the BC pills right away" call--this means that I need an injection to help convince the follicle to come out and dance. Tomorrow morning, Hubby and I will race down to Albuquerque for an ultrasound and then the injection.

I was so afraid of how quickly everything was moving, and then I got called out of town and was upset that things were on standstill for another month (although, after 7 years, what's another month?) and now it's like we have another chance at this month (well, I guess it's technically 2 weeks behind so we are into the next month, but same cycle). I hate that my emotions are already screwy and I don't even have a medicated excuse.

Keep your prayers vocal, and we'll see in about 10 hours where my follicles stand :)

No comments: